1. In 2009 the battle to retrieve the bust of the Amarna queen (Nefertiti?) in the Neues museum heated up and appears to be Dr. Zahi Hawass' top of his want back list.
"I really want it back," he told the Egyptian Parliament. "If Germany refuses the loan request, we will never again organize exhibitions of antiquities in Germany ... it will be a scientific war."
Though some would have you believe the bust is a fake.
2. During the course of 2009 Dr. Hawass has been digging up tombs at Saqqara and clearing the valley of kings with little success in the Valley of kings.
3. With some embarrassment the Louvre was forced to hand back stolen fresco pieces after the Egypt's Supreme council of antiquities cut off the Louvre's expeditions.
4. Berlin's Neues museum after a 70 years closure has been restored from its bomb damage in WWII with its Egyptian collection returned and the Neues reopened. While the British museum completed its restoration of the Nebamun chapel.
5. Twin brother made claims on finding Cambyses' lost army of 50 000 with very little proof and no permission to excavate and then there were those caves under the Giza plateau.
6. Perhaps the most visited tomb in the world the tomb of Tutankhamen in the valley of kings may be closed and a replica built for tourists to visit.
7. An extremely important intact 2nd dynasty burial was found earlier this year and all the talk in January was the mother of the old kingdom pharaoh Teti.
8. A study on heart disease concerns 20 mummies from the Cairo museum from various periods in a study of hereditary heart disease. The mummies are from the upper classes of ancient Egyptian society and in at least 9 cases were found to have suffered from arteriosclerosis.
9. There has been a belief in some that the tomb of Cleopatra and Mark Antony is close to being found at a temple at Taposiris Magna.
10. Last but not least are a bunch of mummies who over the year had dates with machines and a couple of times he became a she or vice versa. Images of the Oriental institutes Meresamun are outstanding and Beautiful mummies were discovered at Illahun.