Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Complete Valley of Kings

This book by Nicholas Reeves and Richard H. Wilkinson is an easy read for everyone young and old on a subject written about countless times though it must be hard to say anything new the authors do manage to find the odd tidbit I have not read about before.

Certainly the facts of the book are excellent and there are many images I have not seen before including the objects from the foundation deposits in front of the tomb of Amenhotep III and good photos of objects found in some of the tombs oh and yeah the mummy of Thuyu under her cartonnage.

It is true that a picture is worth a thousand words but I have to say the subtexts that appear on just about every page are distracting and cause the read to be choppy and somewhat difficult to get into the flow of the book. Particularly well done are the charts on the travels of the royal mummies.

In the end despite the minor issues I thought the book was a delight of details of importance to the average reader like myself who loves everything I can find on the valley of Kings and will be referencing its many charts and details for years to come.

2 comments:

Kate Phizackerley said...

Tim,
I do love both of the Nicholas Reeves books. And I'd agree that they make a great Christmas gift for anybody who doesn't have them.

I looked for a Contact Me button but can't see one, so I'll leave a comment here instead. Have you thought about putting your book reviews on Squidoo? For instance I have one on the Complete Tutankhamun.

Kate

tim said...

Hi Kate

Thanks for the great advice, enjoy your holidays